Just in time for summer that is headed our way, how about some healthy inspiration? We are all trying to get into our bathing suits but we don't want to give up our hand crafted cocktails. So what is a girl to do?
Luckily for us there is a new trend for Healthy Cocktails. Believe it or not, bartenders are now creating yummy drinks that have added health benefits. Talk about retro...this is taking us back to the 16th and 17th centuries when people drank spirits to treat ailments.
So what can we expect from these so called "healthy" cocktails? You're going to find greek yogurt, root vegetables, spring greens, and the ever popular coconut water. Even the liquor brands are developing natural and sustainable alternatives.
One of my favorite additions is Kale. Since I became a vegetarian 3 years ago I have been eating tons of kale and now I can have it in a cocktail! yes please!
Other greens being included are wheatgrass, celery juice and good ol' cucumber.
Another fun addition that I haven't seen yet but have been hearing about is the appearance of peas, shoots, and sprigs. How fun and refreshing! There is a daiquiri from Saxon + Parole's that combines rum sugar snap peas, house-made lemon-thyme cordial and tarragon salt.
In addition to all of these we have savoury options that will include lots of veggie juices and then the florals and infusions that give us an elegant and artisanal feel. Finally you're going to see lots of gingers and spices as well as yummy creamy nut milks. My mouth is watering!
So now that you're thirsty, let me share some recipes with you:
- Kale Margarita from Running with Tweezers
- Pomegranate Ginger Fizz from Will Cook for Friends
- Blueberry Mojito from The Novice Chef
- Pea cocktail from Fennel & Fern
- Coconut Gin and Tonics from Minimalis Baker
- Grapefruit Rosemary Kombucha from Oh My Veggies
- Charred Jalapeño and Carrot Margaritas from Aida Mollenkamp
- Beet and Carrot Cocktail from Cooking Stoned
- Cucumber Cape Codder from Martha Stewart
- Carrot Mimosas from Kitchen Treaty
Have a yummy rest of your week!