I recently read an article in Perspective Magazine Winter 2009 called:
"From a New Angle - When clients are forced to cut their budgets and watch their bottom lines, Interior Designers must find ways to do more with Less"
We're all dealing with this... low funds and projects on hold..
So what do we do?
How do we push forward?
My sister always says, when life gives you Lemons..make Lemon Pie!
So, lets look at Interior Design... your new office, your new home, your remodel.... things need to be done, but how?
Some thoughts from your neighborhood Interior Designer....
- Make LISTS! I make lists for everything in life, and for a project it is so important! Make a list of what you have to work with and what needs to be done. Then catagorize the lists into phases.
- The least expensive way to change a room or an office is Paint! It gives an instant face lift! And you can do the work yourself.
- Furnishings: there are lots of places that have lightly used furniture. Try going to the Salvation Army, Thrift Stores, etc... if you have the time to look it could save you lots of $...can you say Craigslist? yes!!
- There are lots of things to be found in salvage yards! keep looking!
- You need a table? Great then look into remnant pieces that might be sold by local stone installers then find yourself some wood logs and use them as legs.
- You need floor tile or wall tile? Go to the local flooring manufacturer and ask to see their "spiff" tiles. Tiles that have been discontinued and usually not shown on the showroom floor. Great deals there.
- Lighting - see how you can maximize the use of natural light in your space - it will keep costs down -
- Use what you have! Change out the furniture in one room with furniture from another. Bring a home dining chair into the office... Same thing goes for art, accessories...etc.. Switch paintings around.. this will create something fresh and new that you haven't seen before.
- Lets bring back the old tradition of bartering! Trade your way into a new space! We all have friends that are experts in different things... reach out and touch someone! You are a great cook? Do they do plumbing work? Done deal!
- Speaking of trading..this is fabulous... do more trading! Check out this site Zwaggle..you can trade accessories, furniture, etc...
- and finally for those ladies that like to just do it themselves.. Try Be Jane.com ;)